Monday, March 7, 2011

What Could I Have Not Eaten Today?

What Could I Have Not Eaten Today?
I remember it so vividly – I was in Las Vegas watching Zumanity (a very strange Cirque du Soleil show, not my fave) totally mesmorized by the amazing bodies.  I turned to my friend and said, “I keep wondering…what I could have not eaten today?”  Of course if you are like me and hey, we are like everyone, the minute you start thinking of taking things away, of deprivation, it makes you want it even more!  So I have reframed this question to say, what do I need to make sure that I eat and drink today so that my energy is steady, my mood is upbeat, I am de-aging and burning off fat. 
I am the co-star of TLC’s reality series, Freaky Eaters. These people are obsessed with a particular food (this season it’s cheesy potatoes, French fries, meat, cornstarch, ice cream bars and maple syrup) and they don’t eat other things. We have successfully turned even the toughest cases around by adding in new foods rather than focusing on taking away their obsession. These healthier choices then naturally crowd out the bad obsession.
So what do you need to make sure you eat today?  I was thinking about it, and I have some definite things that I make sure I do daily no matter where in the country I happen to be.  Here are some of the items I include in my daily diet to keep me at my peak:
  • A green drink – I use Evolution Fresh Essential Greens if I am in Cal or AZ, otherwise I carry a powdered green drink with mered wine
  • A glass of red wine :)
  • An ounce of dark chocolate – I go for raw whenever I can find it
  • A few cups of green tea
  • Coconut milk – I use unsweetened organic So Delicious brand in my smoothie
  • My vegan protein powder with extra fiber blended in (usually flax or chia seeds)
  • Organic berries (usually tossed into my smoothie)
  • As many non-starchy veggies as I can get in!salmon
  • Clean lean protein at each meal and wild cold water fish at least 3 times a week
  • Black beans or lentils 
  • Phase 2 carb blockers (I use the Natrol brand) –  these are in my purse at all times!
  • Emergen-C  1-2 packets
I have been taping Season 2 of Freaky Eaters for the past 2 ½ months and it has been pretty grueling.  If I wasn’t a stickler about getting in these superfoods on a regular basis (along with my 7-9 hours of sleep and regular HARD exercise like my 4X4 workout) I would have never been able to keep this pace up.  It is what you do on a daily basis that makes the big difference to your energy, your body composition and your overall health so be sure you are creating your own customized health roadmap that incorporates healthy options every day. 
You will notice a major difference even with the smallest of changes.


©2010 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. Nutrition and Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is a the author of Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy and the co-star of TLC’s Freaky Eaters reality series. Visit her at http://www.jjvirgin.com to grab her free audio: Top Ten Hottest Tips to Get Slim and Sexy Fast

No comments:

Post a Comment