Making resolutions is like deciding to start your diet on Monday. Sunday becomes a total free for all of debauchery in preparation for the austerity. When you know that you are going to “start a diet, join the gym, start going to bed earlier” come January 1, it gives you permission to live it up as much as possible before then.
by JJ Virgin
by JJ Virgin
We don’t change overnight, we change over time by incorporating small, simple action steps into our daily life until they become completely habitual. These small steps ultimately and cumulatively add up to big change over time.
So let’s dump the idea of these overwhelming resolutions and instead set an intention that inspires you into taking these action steps. For example, if your intention for 2011 is to lose weight, clearly identify how much weight you want to lose AND what losing this weight will do for you (e.g. boost your confidence, reclaim your wardrobe, improve your dating life, etc.)
Then make a list of simple action steps that will support this goal and build them into your life one by one. Do not add a new one until you have fully incorporated the previous one. Some of my favorite actions steps that will significantly impact weight loss are:
- Follow the diet that is based on your genotype (http://jjvirgin.com/
- Set your alarm clock an hour before you need to go to bed to ensure that you power down and get your 7-9 hours of quality sleep
- Carry a water bottle around to ensure that you drink 64 ounces or more of pure spring water in between meals
- Gradually increase your fiber intake by incorporating raw nuts and seeds, legumes, berries, apples and non starchy veggies into your diet.
- Incorporate my new 4X4™ workout into your schedule 3 times a week (get it free at www.jjsfit club.com)
- Start the day with a healthy smoothie that includes protein, fiber and healthy fat. Here is the link to my favorite smoothie recipe: http://jjvirgin.com/jjs-
- Increase your non starchy vegetables to get 5-10 servings per day
- Build in bliss time daily to help lower those stress hormones
- Stop eating 2-3 hours before bedtime. If you habitually snack at this time, replace this with pleasurable non-food activity.
- Get the enemy out of the house – if that candy isn’t in the pantry, nightstand table or … glove box, you can’t eat it (or at least not as easily!)
Don’t wait to start this! Do it now and you will be starting the new year already ahead!
JJ RecommendsJJ’s Pumpkin Cheesecake
3/4 cup crushed graham crackers
3/4 cup ground almonds
1 tsp cinnamon
1 tbsp butter In food processor grind almonds (still slightly chunky – not into fine meal), add all the other ingredients and process together.
Pat this mixture in the bottom of a 10″ springform pan. Bake at 375 degrees for 12-15 minutes.
Watch for burning! Allow to cool completely.
2 – 8oz Neufchatel cheese (low-fat cream cheese)
3 – 8oz cream cheese
1/2 cup + 2 tbsp xylitol
1 cup canned pumpkin
1 tsp pumpkin pie spice
In a mixer, blend Neufchatel, cream cheese and xylitol until creamy, add eggs one at a time (blending well after each addition), add the pumpkin and blend thoroughly. Should be light and creamy.
Spread over cooled crust and bake in 350 degree oven for 20 minutes, then lower temperature to 300 degrees and bake for an additional 25-30 minutes.
Cool, refrigerate overnight. Serves 16
©2010 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. Nutrition and Fitness Expert JJ Virgin is a the author of Six Weeks to Sleeveless and Sexy and the co-star of TLC’s Freaky Eaters reality series. Visit her at http://www.jjvirgin.com to grab her free audio: Top Ten Hottest Tips to Get Slim and Sexy Fast