Thursday, January 21, 2010
6 Ways to Kick Start Your (Fading) Health Resolutions
As the clock winds around to February, there is a common bug that many people pick up. I call it "I Can't Do It-itis." It's that feeling that you've tried to eat healthy, tried to workout and tried to get your body in shape. Now, you think, "I can't do it." Stop and don't let this bug get into your system.
Here are a few ways or "booster shots" to jump start your plan and see real progress. There is nothing more motivating than the number on the scale going down or that special Valentine's Day skirt or skinny jeans actually fitting you. Here's a few ways to get there.
1. Eat a big breakie. Research shows dieters who get up to half their calories at breakfast lose more weight than those who spread those same cals throughout the day. Go for 400-600 cals at breakfast – and be sure to eat within an hour of waking up.
2. Start your day with a meal replacement shake. People who replace a meal with a shake lose more weight and KEEP it off, plus it is EASY & FAST and you can throw in some great nutrition into it as well.
3. Do a dairy free/gluten free trial. I'm finding that roughly 50 percent of my clients are dairy sensitive and 30 percent are gluten sensitive which causes gas and bloating, cravings and make them hold onto “false fat”. Test yourself by yanking these from your diet completely for 30 days.
4. Avoid the high fructose corn syrup. This is the worst of the sugars out there. It can cause leptin and insulin resistance which means it makes you hungrier AND a better fat storer. IF you eat it after exercise it can block fat burning. Don’t be fooled by fructose – save it for your fruit and Emergen-C packets!
5. Make friends with fat. Coconut milk and oil can help you burn more fat AND crush your hunger by raising the neuropeptide CCK that signals your brain that you are full.
6. Limit your fluid intake at meals to 4-8 ounces total to avoid making a STEW of your stomach acid which can impair protein digestion.
© 2010 JJ Virgin & Associates, Inc. JJ Virgin, PHD, CNS is a celebrity wellness expert, author, public speaker and media personality. She is internationally recognized as the leader of the Weight Loss Resistance Revolution™ and trains other health care professionals in her program. She is the president of the National Association of Nutrition Professionals, www.nanp.org.
If you are frustrated with your body and feel like nothing you are doing is working, download her free “9 Live Well Secrets” audio download at www.jjvirgin.com and receive her monthly LEANzine loaded with insider information on fighting fat and getting lean for life!