THE HEADACHE-FREE DIET:
- Eliminate tryamine-containing foods known to trigger headaches, such as herring, organ meats, aged cheeses, peanuts and peanut butter, fermented sausages, such as bologna, and pepperoni, chocolate, sauerkraut, and alcoholic beverages.
- Avoid caffeine-containing beverages, misuse of alcohol, and tobacco smoke.
- Eat frequent, small nutrient-packed meals rich in fruits, vegetables, whole grains, legumes, and other "real" foods, and low in fat, and processed foods.
- Limit ice cream, since it can trigger migraines in some people. migraine sufferers also should avoid drinking icy cold beverages, which stimulate the nerve center at the back of the palate that controls blood flow to the head.
- Fasting, or even allowing more than five hours to elapse between meals, can trigger a migraine attack.
- Get regular and adequate sleep.
- Elizabeth Somer, M.A., R.D.